RE: crazy idea that will work!

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: crazy idea that will work!
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:22:29 -0800
> Now, here is my question, is there a bremote valveb of sorts?
> Ibm looking
> for a regular hose valve that has a handle far away from the
> pipe.  (so the
> pipe is completely inside and just the valve handle sticks out side.)

Seems to me that all you need is a regular globe or gate valve, with an
extension on the handle long enough to extend through the wall (with suitable
sealing).  No need to go "far away", just 8 or 10" should be plenty.

Another solution was in common use on my grandfather's farm ... "freeze proof"
hose bibs.  These had valves mounted below the frost line, and an extension
that ran along the outlet side of the valve to an above-ground handle.  A side
bleed valve opened when the main valve was closed, so that the water trapped in
the pipe drained back into a small "dry well" around the valve, still below the
frost line.

Couldn't easily find a description of the ones my grandfather used, but here's
something similar to go on the side of the house, just to give you the idea.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/knowhow/handbook/article/0,16417,480863,00.html

Randall