RE: parts cleaners

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: parts cleaners
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:31:33 -0700
> I have heard that you do NOT want to use Simple Green on aluminum.

Yup, not a good idea.  There's even a warning on the gallon bottles of
Simple Green, but apparently not on all of the smaller ones.  It attacks
aluminum fairly slowly, so just a quick wash might not hurt if you're not
too concerned about surface finish.  But the military has forbidden it's use
on things like aluminum aircraft, because it can sometimes seep into cracks
and do some real damage over time.

>  I'd
> also be really careful not to mix ammonia with chlorine compounds.

Also not good.  Ammonia & chlorine bleach make chloramine gas, which is
moderately poisonous.  Hurts like the devil if you breathe it, too.  Many
other household products (like shampoo and anti-bacterial hand soap) have an
ammonia base and can also cause problems if mixed with chlorine bleach.
Mixing acidic products (like vinegar) with bleach can produce chlorine gas,
which is no fun to breathe either.

Randall