Re: parts cleaners

To: "Bruce Wolfe \(wolfe\)" <wolfe@cisco.com>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: parts cleaners
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:19:18 -0400
> Check out www.omegasonics.com for a source of ultrasonic
> cleaning machines.

My experience with ultrasonic cleaners has been less than impressive in
terms of reliability of the units.  I have a relatively decent sized three
gallon unit from Crest Ultrasonics, it is a couple years old.  The thing has
been broken for the past six or seven months and no one, not even Crest
themselves, seems able to repair it.  The unit must have a circuit board
short because it constantly trips the GFCI outlet that it was plugged into.

I had the unit fixed once previously under warantee, and it arrived back
with the ultrasonic functions repaired but the internall heating element
would not heat up the solution.  The unit died less than six weeks after
getting it back and the firm that did the repair says there is nothing that
can be done, the unit is too old (about 7 years old) for them to source
replacement parts.

But yes, when the cleaner did work it cleaned parts relatively well.  When I
need stuff ultrasonically cleaned now, I save enough parts up and take it to
the local radiator shop that has a HUGE ultrasonic tank.  I find this is
more cost effective for me than purchasing a new unit, as they charge me
about $20 for a shopping cart full of stuff to clean.

So be careful about trying to save some money and purchase and older used
unit, you may end up in the same boat I am... havnig a large ultrasonic door
stop for your shop.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke