Re: Getting hung

To: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Subject: Re: Getting hung
From: Roger Gibbs <rgibbs@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:34:11 -0700
John,

My druthers have evolved over time.

A. I started with pegboard and a single toolbox, and some shelves at
the back of the shop.

B. This evolved to more tool boxes and a plan to put everything in the
tool boxes,

C. This evolved into 1) most tools in the tool boxes, but 2) "most used
tools" on the wall behind the bench.

I like the last system best.  Think about what you use when you are in
your garage/shop and
put the most used tools within reach.  I found myself spending too much
time walking 15 feet to
the rollaway to 25 ft to the drill press to get a drill bit for bench
drilling.  I was surprised with the assortment
of what I have hanging on the wall when the motive is "put only the
most used tools" within reach. It is not
pretty, and does not look organized, but it matches my needs. (BTW, my
"most used" tool is probably
the paper tool roll followed by my magnifying head loop thingie)

To hang the tools I screwed a generic tool rack with various holes into
the wall.  I also screwed in two
  lengths of plywood or particle board, maybe 3 feet ling, 4 inches
wide.  I drive screws or nails into this
board.  Easy to change if needed.  If it gets too chewed up simply
replace it.

It's kind of funny - this looks wrong, no well organized set of tools
laid out neatly.  To a casual observer
it must look cluttered.  But I know where the tools are, and it saves a
lot of time.

-Roger