Re: Shop Update

To: Eric@megageek.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Shop Update
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:47:38 -0700
>The 2 part epoxy that Home Depot sells (Rustoleam brand).  It that any
>good?  I've priced a bunch of other floor coatings and it adds up quick.

   There has been a discussion about Rustoleum floors on the Ferrari board
I belong to for the last week or so.  Its running about 50-50 on the
results, some people had it lift and others say its great.  It really
appears that the preparation with acid is what is really important as well
as the concrete "dryness", it can't be done on freshly poured concrete, you
have to wait about a month or so.

   It seems to be about the same 50-50 for other brands as well yet the
professionally done floors are near 100% good.  Again that implies preparation.

   As far as other alternatives, I went with Racedeck tiles and they are
great for a showroom but I can show you where I have burned holes while
welding.  They have held up pretty well on dragging things across the floor
and still no "stains" from various liquids that have been spilled on
them.   But I would NOT re-install them in my next garage where I would be
doing welding or grinding.   That was to be expected since they are
plastic, but I incorrectly assumed that I could move my welding projects
outside and would be ok.  It has not worked out that way and I have damaged
some of them when I could not easily move items out due to various
reasons.  Overall I am pleased with them and impressed with how well they
have held up to "normal" shop wear but I restore cars and that means some
welding now and then.  My next shop will have a dirty "weld area" with bare
concrete floor and the Racedeck every where else.

         mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/