Re: Mounting a compressor

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mounting a compressor
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:20:24 -0500
Mike wrote:
> I am mighty impressed with your efforts and solutions to reducing
> vibration. . . > I guess I am just lucky: <skip> It has been running there
for about 5 years and hasn't >move an inch. It might  help that the
(antique) two stage compressor has opposed pistons on a
> single connecting rod, so I guess it must be fairly well balanced.

I agree and I'll stress "they don't build 'em like they used to" . .   My
huge 1947 vertical compressor has been in continuous use and pressure since
new . . 30 odd years in a busy garage and 20 odd years in my private shop.
It sits on the concrete floor with no pads and it's fairly smooth and quiet.
Motor and compressor are original and have not faltered in 20 years, maybe
EVER! . .  the only service it's had in 20 years is oil changes, one
pressure switch  and one gauge.  .  Gawd, I've never even tightened the
belts!
Tony