Re: water pressure, was:Re: Shallow well water pumps

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>, Randall Young
Subject: Re: water pressure, was:Re: Shallow well water pumps
From: David Cavanaugh <cavanadd@kendra.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:30:22 -0700
At 10:26 AM 6/11/2004 -0400, Trevor Boicey wrote:
>Randall Young wrote:
>>   And there's at least a fair chance you can
>>just adjust the switch on your current pump for more pressure.
>
>   Does anyone happen to know the exact procedure for this?

I have a two pump system.  My deep well pump delivers the water to my tank,
which is a 1300 gallon square concrete tank buried in the ground.  The top
of the tank is the foundation for the pump house.  There is a second pump
in the tank that provides the water pressure to the house.  This way the
well pump isn't pumping against a big head, and should last longer, and the
pump in the tank should be cheaper to replace.  (The other advantage to
this is I always have at least 1000 gallons of water I have easy access to;
I can get it out with a bucket or a hand pump I have to.) I have a 60
gallon pressure tank on the system.  My plumber told me NOT to mess with
the pressure control switch on the piping, but once a year I should check
the tank to make sure it's not water logged.   He told me to turn the pumps
off, drain the surge tank, and check the pressure in the air bladder with
the tank EMPTY.  I wrote the pressure he told me on the tank in magic
marker, and I check (and adjust as necessary) every spring.  He also told
me (and my experience in my last house verified) that the pressure tanks
only last eight to ten or twelve years.