Re: water pressure, was:Re: Shallow well water pumps

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: water pressure, was:Re: Shallow well water pumps
From: Wayne <wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:47:10 -0400
At 10:26 AM 6/11/2004, Trevor Boicey wrote:
>>   And there's at least a fair chance you can just adjust the switch on
>> your current pump for more pressure.
>
>   Does anyone happen to know the exact procedure for this?

My setup has an air-charged pressure tank with internal bladder.  There's a
regular Schrader-style air valve on its top.  The water line has a pressure
gauge.  Switch is the very common Square-D one.  Here's what I've done:
* Square-D switches seem to come factory set for 30 - 50psi.  I adjusted
mine up to 35 - 55psi.
* Turn off breaker to well pump.
* Turn on faucet till tank is emptied.
* Use an accurate tire pressure gauge to measure the empty tank
pressure.  It should be about 2 - 3 psi below the switch's desired low
setting.  Adjust air as necessary.
* Take the cover off the switch.  WARNING - exposed high voltage
inside.  Two adjusting screws.  One with smaller spring is low pressure.
* Alternate turning pump on at breaker, and shutting off and running water
to drain check and check & set lower limit.  With an INSULATED item, you
can probably manually "kick" the switch levers from off to on, so you don't
have to run a complete low -to-high cycle while adjusting.  Poke around in
the switch box - you're on this list, so you'll figure it out from
there  ;)  Just don't blame me if you get zapped!

>  However, my pump switch settings seem to be "on at 30psi, off at 40psi"
> so my tank pressure wanders in that range, which is pretty low.

It's also "short cycling" your pump, which is not good for its life
span.  A bigger tank and wider pressure range is beneficial.

>The switch is the common little box on a short pipe with a little prime
>lever on the side.

That's on some of the Square-D switches I've seen.  It's actually a safety
to prevent burning up the pump if the well goes dry.  If the pressure drops
much below the low setting, the lever trips off and you have to manually
reset it.

    -Wayne