Re: Gasket making

To: "Allen Brenden" <allen.brenden@verizon.net>,
Subject: Re: Gasket making
From: David Cavanaugh <cavanadd@kendra.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 19:19:47 -0700
At 11:05 AM 5/19/2004 -0700, Allen Brenden wrote:
>you have room to lay the
>gasket material against the flange, you can use a small hammer (ball peen
>works good) and tap around the inside and outside of the flange and bolt
>holes. It leaves a nice impression to trim to.

I used to use this method all the time in the Navy and when doing
industrial facilities maintenance for making flange and pump casing
gaskets.  It works very well in larger stuff, although I would be very
careful on materials other than cast iron or steel.

I have also used various sizes of cartridge cases, with the rim sharpened,
for light duty punches and paper drills (for drilling 3 ring binder holes
in magazines).  You can cut a "window" in the side so the dots have a place
to come out.

Dave c