Re: Gasket making

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gasket making
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 21:38:28 -0400
----- Original Message -----

Subject: Gasket making

> What are some tricks to making a "pattern" for the gasket when I cannot
> lay the actual part on the material and trace? Maybe use some tracing
> paper, and "shading" the outline of the part?

Exactly. The technique is similar to the way people make rubbings of grave
stones.

Use hole punches to cut the areas for bolt holes, etc.

Also, if areas allow, make the edges a bit oversize and use a file to cut
the gasket to size. Put the gasket in place (sip a bolt through the punched
holes to hold it in position) and use the file to shave off the excess.

Eric Russell