Upgrading Shop Electrical

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Upgrading Shop Electrical
From: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 07:23:45 -0700
Ok, here's one for the electricians....

I have a great shop with marginal power and I need to upgrade. The shop is
about 20 ft away from my main house panel which is a 200 amp service.
Unfortunately the existing wire is four ~8ga runs from two 15amp breakers.
They feed two seperate 110v circuts in the shop and are ganged to make one
220v plug which I have been using for my air compressor and welders. I know
this is not good.

The problem is that the wires run through a 1" conduit that's burried in a
concrete slab. I really don't want to dig this up so I need to figure out
the largest wires I can get through the existing conduit. I had someone
suggest I could run 2 - 4ga, 1 - 8ga and 1 - 6ga through it, but how would I
wire that into a sub-panel? Specifically, which of these wires would be
neutral and which ground (assuming the 4ga are hot)?

My other alternatives are stringing wires overhead or having a new meter
installed on the shop$$$$

Thanks in advance for any input.

John Matthews
Mesa, AZ

MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page  FREE