Re: Transfer Switches

To: "smarc" <smarc@abs.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transfer Switches
From: "Bill Engle, Sr." <whesr@iglou.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 11:17:35 -0500
If you are comfortable working in a fuse panel you can do the same thing
with a simple two way blade switch of sufficient capacity to carry the
load.  Separate the lower section of the ground strip in the box ( you have
to cut the bar) so that section does not have power from the main
line.  Then you move all the circuits you want on the genset to that
area.  You then wire the double throw blade switch so that power goes to
that portion of the box when the switch is in one position only.  That is
where you have the switch normally.  When you throw the switch the other
way you connect those circuits with the line to the genset.  Cost of the
switch will run $10 used to $70 new.

It is a good idea to have the main power disconnected.