Re: driveway?

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: driveway?
From: shiples@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:42:20 -0800
>I'm thinking the base should be better prepared, or deeper, or something,
>in order to stand up to the weight of a car vs. that of a person, and
>maybe the pavers should be thicker, or made from stronger concrete.
>
>per my rant last month, I'll be doing this myself.  advice, been there's,
>etc.?

Get the installation specification from the manufacturer of the
paver.  I've done walkways
in concrete pavers, my driveway is in something called turfstone, a
concrete grid that
allows grass to grow through.  Instead of scrubbing grease stains, I'm
digging out and replanting little 4 inch square pieces of sod.

Here's the first link I found using google, illustrating the excavate,
crushed rock , and sand
preparation.
http://www.cambridgepavers.com/Pages/how_to/diy_basic.html

Here's another link that discusses paving with rock.
http://doityourself.com/concrete/crushedrock.htm
   I think I used 5/8 minus.  With a plate compactor it becomes like
concrete even
without the sand and pavers.

It's basically digging a lot deeper than you'd think, filling the hole with
rock that includes "fines"
to be mechanically compacted,  a layer of compacted sand,
pavers/compaction.  Using the right
materials and compacting every 2-4 inches as you spread rock, then sand you
can create
a very solid drive.  Once the excavation is complete, laying goes
quickly.  I used some sort
of wet brick saw to fit the odd piece.

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA