Re: Balancing wheels - DIY

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Balancing wheels - DIY
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:56:06 -0500
----- Original Message -----

> At each end of the spindle would be small bearings that
> would sit in a v-groove on a level stand.  If the wheel was heavier on one
> side and it was spun, I would imagine that the heavier spot would usually
> rest at the bottom if the bearings are "free" enough.

What you are describing is similar to the set up one uses to balance
motorcycle wheel/tires. I do this myself with no problems noted at speeds to
80+mph (umm, closed course...yeah right).

Do a search on balancing motorcycle tires and you'll find plenty of info on
homemade jigs.

The caveat here is that even wide MC tires are still quite narrow compared
to average auto tires. It seems likely that dynamic imbalance is a greater
issue the wider the tire.

Eric