RE: OBD-II scan tools

To: <strovato@optonline.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: OBD-II scan tools
From: <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 11:17:02 -0500
You forgot:

<http://www.obd-2.com/>

Although the web site is very spectacular, the program works well.  I bought the
TRICOM version (universal) and it works fine.  I could have bought the cheaper
version of the software/hardware that only works with one type of OBD-II, but
I decided I never know what will happen in the future.  There are also periodic
FREE updates to the software that you can download.

Currently, my only II-II vehicle is my '96 Ford Ranger, and I have used it on
several occasions to solve the problems I've had with the truck that turned on
the MIL (CEL) light.

I have the software loaded onto a 75 MHz laptop that I was given.  It works
great
except for the fact that the laptop's battery only last about 5 minutes on a
charge
(probably why I was given the laptop - a new battery costs more than the laptop
is
worth).  The software provides the code and a message associated with the error
code.  You can monitor and plot various parameters (I even verified that the
engine
temp wasn't getting as high as it should because of a bad thermostat - I didn't
know if it was the temperature sender or not).  You can also scan and save the
data for later analysis or to compare a "good" test verses a "bad" test, etc.
All in all, I like the software.

If you don't already have one, you can pick up an old out of date laptop pretty
cheaply and dedicate it as the scanner.

No financial interests, etc...

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA