Re: OBD-II scan tools

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: OBD-II scan tools
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 07:37:25 -0600
I've been puzzled for years why there haven't been many, many programs
offered to turn a laptop (or now a Palm Pilot, etc.) into a scan tool.
Personally, I only have pre-OBDII cars, but the problem is the same and made
worse by the lack of standardization among the various makers and years
pre-OBD, and I've loong wished for good scan tools for my various cars.
Reading blinking lights only does so much.  Getting more detailed info on
engine monitoring parameters, getting transmission info, turning off "$50.00
lights", etc. takes a scan tool.

Seems like a PC could do far more than a dedicated scan tool, and program
modules could replace the firmware modules that are required for dedicated
scan tools.

Anyone know why this hasn't been a more common application?

Karl Vacek