Re: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:59:15 -0400
I wondered about that too. Sounds kind'a obvious when you first hear it,
but maybe the surface area of the two schemes could be about the same.
One has small short splines and lots of them, the other has a few large
tall ones.

Most interesting point in the whole thread to me was the point about the
machining variations leading to only a small number of splines carrying
the load with the rest along for the ride. If that's true, it might lead
one to design a spline where the Torque could be carried by only one or
a few of the splines, rather than having to depending on a bunch of them.

Don Malling