Re: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:58:33 -0400
I would like to thank everyone too. I learned a lot about wire wheel
maintenance and splines. It was a very informative thread.

Everyone says "never buy used wire wheels -- they are junk". OK, so I'm
about to buy new wire wheels for my TR250, but what's to stop them from
turning into junk just like all those other used ones did? Well I
learned what to do. Keep the splines greased so that don't rust, and
don't over tighten them. Let the car's forward motion tighten them the
correct amount -- be be careful when first starting out after hand
tightening -- go slow and avoid the brakes. Lots of country roads out
here with no traffic.

Maybe all those used wire wheels are junk because folks don't know how
to maintain them correctly -- we had to dig pretty deep on this thread
to find out.

Thanks again

Don Malling