Re: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts
From: "Trevor Boicey" <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 20:54:33 -0400 (EDT)
> I am learning that software engineering and automotive engineering are
> very different. In software it works or it doesn't, and if it works once
> it will work forever

  Eeek! Remind me not to work on the same codebase as you!

  Writing software that works once is something any kid can do. Writing
software that will work in the real world, be maintained, be changed,
and be repaired, is what brings Engineering to software.

  Software just rots in a different way. If you underdesign your
driveshaft, it'll snap as soon as it's used. If you underdesign your
software, it means that you have to scrap the whole project as soon as
the first raft of changes come in.

  Imagine having to redesign a whole car from scratch because the first
few demos showed "abnormally fast seat wear". ;>