Re: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engineering Question Regarding Splined Shafts
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:25:31 -0400
Hmmmm.... Prudence tells me not to disagree with Randall... but here
goes :-)

Maybe I don't know what spines are. I thought that thing-a-ma-bob on a
drive shaft was a spline. Most I've seen aren't very tight -- they slide
back and forth a lot. If wire wheel like splines are stronger why aren't
they used on a drive shaft?

I assume one of the reasons a spline is used in any situation is the
connect/disconnect is easily done (wire wheels in a pit stop in 1909),
or there is a need for lengthwise movement as on a drive shaft. Seems to
me that the nature of a spline implies a loose sliding fit. I guess I'll
have to agree that if the splines on wire wheels fit tight enough to
have to be pressed on rather than loose enough to side on and off
easily, we probably would not have to worry about tightening the
knockoffs and the wear situation with them would not exist.

Again, in my mind, a spline with 1000 Billion elements and which still
slides on and off easily is a bearing.

 > The little splines spread the forces over a larger area, because the
steel
 > in the center of the bigger splines contributes little in the way of
 > strength.  Best example I can think of is tubing vs solid rod; where the
 > tubing resists bending almost as well as the solid rod.

In bending or deflection it's true the material at the center is at rest
and the forces are at the surface or edges of what is bending. I'm not
so sure that is true in a shear situation. If it is, then we should have
lots more spline elements on a drive shaft than we do - say make each
one about as thick as a piece of aluminum foil. I don't think that would
be very strong, no matter how many there were.

I am learning that software engineering and automotive engineering are
very different. In software it works or it doesn't, and if it works once
it will work forever -- even more than 1000 Billion times -- the "soft"
"ware" never wears out. Software doesn't really exist in a physical
sense... It's soft-ware... You know what I mean :-)  In automotive
engineering most anything will work at least once, and even the best
wears out eventually -- it's just a question of when.

Hmmm.... So much for prudence....  :-)

Don Malling