Re: cleaning an aged garage floor for painting

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cleaning an aged garage floor for painting
From: Ray Bahr <rbahr@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 23:24:08 -0400
Hi All,

I went through this ~ 3 years ago when I painted my garage floor (17 years
old at the time). I did several things: I scrubbed the heck out of the
floor with a good industrial cleaner design for removing/loosing up
petroleum products - forget now exactly what I used, I used a buffer with
30 grit sanding disks - and repeated this cycle several times. I then
prepped the floor with muriatic acid. The floor covering I used was
something called Harddeck http://www.airtechcoatings.com/harddeck.html - it
is a paint typically used in airplane hangers and will withstand just about
anything - tires, chemicals normally found in the garage etc. This stuff is
real nasty to use though...

Good Luck

Ray