cleaning an aged garage floor for painting

To: "'shop-talk@autox.team.net'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: cleaning an aged garage floor for painting
From: Robert Munn <Robert.Munn@peregrine.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:59:42 -0700
I recently bought a 40 year old house with a well-worn garage floor. The
garage was used by the owner of the house as her shop for basket-making, and
was occasionally used by her son for car repairs. The floor has numerous old
oil stains, duct tape remnants, and the remains of green garage floor paint
that looks totally trashed- chipped, faded in many spots, totally gone in
others, still somewhat ok in a few areas.

I would mostly like to use the garage as a shop, though I might occasionally
park a car in there.

I have read through many threads in the archives here about painting garage
floors with epoxy for a tough finish, but I didn't see any posts about how
to prep an old floor. I did see that proper prep is EVERYTHING, so I want to
make sure I get this right.

One person referred to using a concrete grinder to grind off the top layer
of concrete and gunk in extreme cases. Is this my best/only option to
properly prep the surface? The last thing I want is to do a bad job and have
the whole thing peeling and bubbling in a few months.

I live in San Diego near the coast but high up away from the water table,
temperature and humidity are moderate year-round.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Rob Munn