Re: cleaning an aged garage floor for painting

To: "Steve Hammatt" <gsteve@hammatt.com>,
Subject: Re: cleaning an aged garage floor for painting
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 21:36:00 -0500
The Burnished finish your referring to is normally done when they initially
finish the concrete.... the process of burning in a finish is simply
bringing the cream of the concrete to the surface and then drying it with a
trowel by continuing the troweling process till there is no more water....
often done with a machine...  it also makes a relatively level floor...

There are also several curing agents... that go on top of fresh concrete
which slow the internal drying process.... Sonneborn makes some that are
great.... it's what I used on my shop floor to make it perfect... that and a
mason with 45yrs experience...

the problem with the cure & Seal... is that it's not impurvius to
Gasoline... which means that it wipes off when exposed to oil based
solvents....
.... but it's fine at least the concrete under it was super smooth not
letting oil into the pores of the surface...

Just be careful with the slick floor when it's wet...

Last but far from least... if you have a choice.... add more cement to the
batch design and forget that Crap Fibermesh junk.... it's for folks that
don't want to add wire mesh... or enough cememt to make concrete right... oh
and it itches when you lay on it.... screw that stuff...