Re: AOL blocking team.net?

To: LBC286@aol.com, npenney@mde.state.md.us, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: AOL blocking team.net?
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 21:26:59 -0400
At 10:36 AM 8/5/2003 -0400, LBC286@aol.com wrote:

>Very interesting, but where are you getting your information?  I have been on
>several team.net lists for about 4 years and have not gotten a virus on my
>computer from any source.  Team.net does not allow attachments, so if you get
>e-mail from a team.net address WITH an attachment, DELETE IT!!  It is
>probably a
>virus using a spoofed address.  I have NEVER gotten one that way.
>
>I have never heard of a virus that is capable of turning on the power to a
>computer.  Where does it get the power to do that?  If you think it is
>happening, plug your computer into a surge protector with a power switch
>and flick it
>off when you turn off the computer.  It sounds more like some unauthorized
>person is using your computer without your knowledge.  Get a key-lock
>power switch
>and keep the key with you.

I think nolan was being sarcastic.

I can take up for him because we have (had) either the exact same virus or
a very similar one at work.  it didn't use different subject lines (iirc,
it was titled 'your profile' or something similar), but it had a coworker's
address in the from: line.  she didn't send it though, because she'd been
fired two weeks earlier and no one had been near her computer since (no, it
wasn't her, she's a 55 year-old grandmother that had difficulty with
windows--virii were not her stock in trade).  the first time half the
office opened it instantly, thinking she'd had a hacker double life we
didn't know about.  a day or two later it tried again with a different
address of a coworker that was out of town.  so they definitely weren't
sending them.  I suspect nolan's got his address on the same thing here.

scott