RE: Pouring a floor

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Pouring a floor
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:19:31 -0400
88 years to completely cure if conditions are ideal.

Best thing I've come across is this curing solution/epoxy primer in
one.  It's by some chemical company in Philly and I can't remember the name
and I gave the last gallon to my brother-in-law.  Applied after final
finishing, it's basically a poly-styrene and polymer mix that totally seals
the concrete.  I have a friend who never got around to epoxying the floor
and the curing coat is still going strong a year later - except for the gas
spill.  :-)  When you want to epoxy, you wash the floor - no acid-etch or
anything - and put on a new coat of the cure/primer and then epoxy on
that.  The chemical bond between the cure/primer and concrete is greater
than between epoxy and concrete, as well as the bond between the
cure/primer and epoxy.  Good stuff.

At 07/30/2003 at 14:34, Shakespearean monkeys danced on John Gates's
keyboard and said:

>I put a 36 x 48 slab in a metal building about 6 years ago.  All one piece,
>no control joints or expansion joints, no rebar.  Used Fibermesh, adds about
>$50 to a truck.  So far, no visible cracks.  Been thru a 6.3 earthquake.
>
>Concrete likes to cure slowly, so close up the building and let the humidity
>build up in there, just so long as it doesn't get too hot.  Keep the sun off
>the stuff.  Unless you use an early cure, I think it takes 28 days or so for
>full cure.
>
>Thought about coating it?  Its worth it.
>
>John Gates
>Enumclaw, WA

Cheers!