RE: F150 starter

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: F150 starter
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:00:38 -0700
> Initially, the old solenoid would just buzz, so I replaced it and
> the new one clicked very quickly, but the starter still would not
> work.  Now, after I replaced the starter, it will engage the
> flywheel but will then hang up and buzz and send the output
> needle on my battery charger to the maximum - and none of this
> stopped until it tripped the breaker in my garage, even though I
> turned the key off immediately after the engine did not turn.

Sounds to me like a bad battery or possibly a bad cable somewhere.
Batteries do fail that way sometimes, voltage reads fine but the internal
resistance is too high and they will not supply enough current to crank the
engine.  The sure way to tell is to run a load test, but it seems most
places no longer have the equipment to do a proper load test ... so the next
best test is to swap batteries.

I don't know what the stall current is on a Ford starter, but it's not
unusual for it to be over 500 amps.  Even "starting" battery chargers
generally can't supply that much without a battery to help.

Randall