F150 starter

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: F150 starter
From: justin acome <acome@usc.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:58:10 -0400
Hi;

I have a 1986 Ford F150 that's been sitting outside (in New York) for around 2
years, and it was running well when it was parked.  I have replaced both the
solenoid and the starter because the old starter motor would not turn the
engine over.

Initially, the old solenoid would just buzz, so I replaced it and the new one
clicked very quickly, but the starter still would not work.  Now, after I
replaced the starter, it will engage the flywheel but will then hang up and
buzz and send the output needle on my battery charger to the maximum - and none
of this stopped until it tripped the breaker in my garage, even though I turned
the key off immediately after the engine did not turn.

With a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt the engine seems to turn freely.
The only other thing I can say is that as I was turning the engine, I was
sensing a very small electrical shock from the engine block - but the battery
charger was still connected at that point, so it may be a bit of a red herring.

And so at this point I'm totally clueless.  Short circuit?  The battery reads a
full 13 volts after I unhooked the charger.  Please give me some ideas as to
what I might be missing.  Thanks.  Much appreciated.

Justin