Re: slightly OT: hitch ball ?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: slightly OT: hitch ball ?
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 20:00:02 -0600
This thread reminds me of the theories of roller chain lubrication on
equipment operating in dirty conditions.  I was a dealer of such equipment
and it was interesting that there was NO agreement on THAT subject either.
Some instructions insisted on NO lube because of the "grinding paste" idea.
Others offered a gambit of lubes including dry graphite products.  Our "best
guess" on observing the service life of different customers was that it
really didn't make significant difference except for the few drives which
used a flood of lost-oil which must have had a flushing/cleaning action.
Those lasted longer but probably weren't economic coz of the cost of the
oil...  I oil chain out of "mercy" for the parts and to prevent bindup of
rollers.
Tony