RE: slightly OT: hitch ball ?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: slightly OT: hitch ball ?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 15:52:45 -0800
> Randall says he's run his dry, but he didn't really make
> a case for why it's better.

That's because I don't know that it is better.

My thoughts are that some resistance in that coupling may actually help with
trailer sway (which might be why I've never felt that anti-sway devices are
necessary for properly loaded trailers); and that greasing it is sure going
to make a mess!

I've only towed for perhaps 20,000 miles in my life, with a fairly wide
variety of equipment, and I can honestly say I've never seen a reason to
lubricate the ball except perhaps to prevent rust.  But I junked the
motorhome before the rust on the ball got to be a problem <g>

Randall