Painting an engine block

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Painting an engine block
From: Ralph Forsythe <rf-list@centerone.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 09:49:28 -0700 (MST)
What's the best way to go about prepping an old engine block to be
painted?  I have a 360FE in a truck I'm rebuilding, which will be pulled
shortly.  Before it goes back in, I want it to be painted the Ford dark
blue (should look good with the various shiny bits I'm putting in).

I can handle degunking it alright, but what are recommendations for really
stripping it clean?  I don't want to blast it for fear of sand getting
inside the engine and damaging something, but I know there will be a
little bit of surface rust under all that road grime and need to get it
off.  Ideas?

Also, when it comes time to paint - I was thinking of just extensively
taping off all gasket mating surfaces (after stripping the block clean)
and going to town.  Is this bad?  Are there better ways?

Oh, do any of you have a favorite paint you like to use?  I can't spend a
ton, but I'd like something fairly durable that can stand the heat.

Thanks,
- Ralph