Re: question on joists need.

To: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: question on joists need.
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:25:13 -0500
Mike,

Sounds like you've got the question part under control.  An answer is what
is needed.  :-)

I believe that what you are describing are called "collar ties".  These, as
you correctly state, prevent the rafters and walls from being pushed out
from the weight of the roof.  This is true even without an earthquake,
though I imagine it would be more critical when the whole house is
dancing.  They ARE structural and I would not remove them without careful
consideration of the implications, probably by a structural engineer or
other similar professional.

-Steve