question on joists need.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: question on joists need.
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:59:34 -0800
   I have a 22'wide X 20'Deep garage, its a pretty standard 2 car garage
with a 16' door.  I have a lift and I can't raise my car on it fully if the
door is open.  ITs a old wooden door, I got 2 quotes now for a roll up
sectional door that would follow the roof line allowing me full access to
my lift.

   The problem is there are 3 2x4 joists (or is rafters?) that go from the
back wall to the front wall where the door is.  I was told by a friend that
these are needed to prevent the walls from being pushed out from the weight
of the roof during earthquakes (I am in S. Calif.).  Every house on the
block has these 3 joists.  I would need to remove them for a door to follow
the roof line both contractors said no problem, they are not structural and
they will remove them.

   If they are not structural why are they there on every garage in this
housing track ?  Are they correct, can they be removed or are they trying
to sell me  a door ?  I called the city building office and asked and the
answer was "if you want to do structural work you will have to file for a
permit and we will then notify you of what you can or can't do"  I just
want to know if they are really needed and they would not tell me.  I drove
down hoping to get a better answer and the clerks answer was "yes they are
needed" but could not tell me why.

   I can remove them and if they are there to keep the walls from moving, I
can brace the back wall to the roof but the front the door would be in the
way.  If those 3 studs are all that hold my garage, i am scared.

   Some probably bad ASCII text follows.

     /\
    /  \
   /    \
  --------  <-- These is what I am talking about, there are 3 of them over
the span of 22'
  |      |
  |      |

   These 2x4's are just nailed in where the roof sits on the headers and
appear useless.  I can (and maybe should) take some pictures and post a URL
if that would help.

        mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/