Re: garage heater safety

To: JNiolon@uss.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: garage heater safety
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 14:38:54 -0500
At 08:51 AM 1/29/03 -0600, JNiolon@uss.com wrote:
>I searched the archives and didn't really find anything detailed on this...

Well, it must be in  there somewhere because we talk about this regularly!  :-)

Anyway, I have an Empire direct vent propane heater.  It works great, I am
very happy with it.  The same unit can be purchased set up for natural gas
if you have that available.  The combustion chamber is closed to the room
air.  It takes in combustion air from outside, and exhausts to
outside.  Room air only blows over the hot outside of the combustion
chamber.  That should make it quite safe in a garage.  I'm not comfortable
with the whole unvented concept.  I know they're supposed to be safe and
all, but I'd just as well not be breathing their exhaust, regardless of how
little there supposedly is.

BTW, search for "Empire" in the archives and you'll find a bunch of

-Steve