Re: garage heater safety

To: JNiolon@uss.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: garage heater safety
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:42:05 -0800
>infrared ?  open flame gas ??  forced air gas ??   unvented ?  vented ??

  If I was going to do it again, I would very seriously look into the
infrared heaters advertised in Hemmings and Old Cars Weekly, they are long
tubes that you put overhead with your lights.  They are gas powered but no
exposed flame, of course that red hot tube would be a explosion problem in
a areas of heavy fumes but they are sold for garages so it must have some
safety factor.  This site has some pictures but not a lot of
info.  http://www.americandoorsupply.com/CatalogMenu/Heaters/heaters.html

  I personally am very happy with my Hot Dawg heater that I installed about
a year ago, Its NOT explosion proof but it has no pilot so I feel safe
doing heavy fume like things in the garage as long as I know I have turned
off the heater and it won't come on.  I have not forgotten yet :)  Modine
also has a sensor that will not allow the heater to come on if it senses
things like gasoline in the air but you would have to buy several sensors
to take care of paint fumes, gasoline, etc. and they are not cheap.  It
works great.
http://hot-dawg.modine.com/

  The reason I would look at infrared, is that it is supposed to be cheaper
to heat.  I live in S. Cal. so my heater is only on for weekends for a
month or so (only once this year so far) but I do keep my thermostat at 45
and during normal winters I will hear it come on during the nights
sometimes.  So for my location heating cost was not a factor.

         mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/