Re: On the subject of craftsman toolchests...

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: On the subject of craftsman toolchests...
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 00:09:58 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, nicholas harteau wrote:
> I'm pretty much planning on spending about $700-$1k for the roll-chest
> portion, should I settle for less space and get a craftsman
> professional, or settle for lower build quality and get a spacious
> ball-bearing "pro-quality" chest?
>
> I'm not a professional mechanic or anything, but I am picky about my
> tools, as long as if, two years from now, my "pro-quality" chest isn't
> going to start feeling cheap and flimsy and start breaking, I think I'd
> be fine.

I have a regular Craftsman ball bearing lower chest that I got a few years
ago.  I'm an amateur mechanic, but I use my tools a fair amount.  Loaded
up and used frequently, I've had no problems.

Like others, I recently saw a nice looking ball bearing box & top chest at
Sam's Club.  I'd check out those units, along with the Kobalt stuff that
Home Depot (or is it Lowe's?) sells as well.  My recommendation would be
to get the biggest thing you can afford that has ball bearing slides and
looks reasonably well made.  Check how the drawer latches work to see if
they need excessive force or are otherwise dorky.

If you're gonna be rolling it into a trailer or something, check that the
wheels are big and that the drawer locking mechanism works for you.

Don't overlook space inside the box.  I never really thought I'd fill mine
up and I've been kinda wanting more room for a year or two now...

Let us know if you find a good deal!

Mark