RE: On the subject of craftsman toolchests...

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: On the subject of craftsman toolchests...
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 18:29:36 -0800
> Speaking of craftsman toolchests, I'm spending the holiday season trying
> to accumulate enough sears gift certificates to get myself a nice
> roll-around one.
>
> I'm pretty much planning on spending about $700-$1k for the roll-chest
> portion, should I settle for less space and get a craftsman
> professional, or settle for lower build quality and get a spacious
> ball-bearing "pro-quality" chest?
>
> I'm not a professional mechanic or anything, but I am picky about my
> tools, as long as if, two years from now, my "pro-quality" chest isn't
> going to start feeling cheap and flimsy and start breaking, I think I'd
> be fine.

I've had one of their bottom-of-the-line rollaways for quite a few years
now, it doesn't even have ball bearings.  I'm definitely an amateur
mechanic, but it gets plenty of use and still works just as well as it did
new.  My only complaint with it is that it's too small, so I'd definitely go
with the larger one.

One thing I did learn though, waterless hand cleaner (Goop) will take paint
off metal, if allowed to set long enough.  When I upgraded the upper chest
to a larger one, the old chest went against the wall under the Goop
dispenser, which decided to take a dump ...

Randall