Re: Heater request

To: "Stephen" <slb1@humboldt1.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Heater request
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 21:39:49 -0600
From: "Stephen" <slb1@humboldt1.com>

> Gary,
>
> What size Empire heaters did you use?

I can add a data point to the one you get from Gary.

I have one 30,000 BTU natural-gas Empire.  It has the optional electric fan.

The shop is 30 x 20 feet outside measure.  3.5 inches fiberglass in the
walls, 6 inches of fiberglass over the ceiling. .008 inch poly vapor
barrier.  No insulation of which I am aware under the concrete floor.

The old steel side door of the garage does not have weather-stripping and
does not seal to the cheesy concrete threshold (really must replace that
door someday, I only keep it as a second means of egress).  One 20-foot side
of the shop shares a wall with my unheated 20 x 20 foot garage.  That wall
has a 36-inch door and an overhead door 10 feet wide.

I keep the shop at 50 degrees.  Even when it is zero degrees outside, the
heater does not seem to run very much.  I have not noticed any big effect on
my gas bill.

My experience with the Empire is like Gary's.  Plug and play.

The Empire is designed to be used at floor level, but may be mounted higher.
Empire wants the top of the heater at least 48 inches below the ceiling, as
I recall.  I mounted it there, which did allow the firebox part to be above
the Saint Paul code elevation from the floor in a garage space.  I think the
separation of garage and flame are adequate anyway, so it's probably moot.
The inspector agreed, but since the elevation meets the code, I'm covered
either way.

Like Gary, I can certainly recommend the Empire unit.  It took a bit of
resolution to actually cut a 7-inch hole in the side of my newly-constructed
wall, but it was worth it.  Surely better than having anything penetrate the
roof.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com