RE: Heater request

To: <MJSUKEY@cs.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Heater request
From: <Mog8@attbi.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 13:42:06 -0500
Marty,

I put an Empire unit in my garage a few years ago and never regretted
it. I thought it was over-kill at the time.  But rather than be
penny-wise and pound foolish I bit hard and went with the advice of the
heating/AC expert who was a friend and was trusted.

It heats the entire garage, getting its combustion air from the outside,
and exhausting to the outside.  Inside air is drawn through the unit
mostly by convection, but sometimes with a blower fan assisting.  The
heat is effortless and the unit has been trouble free.  I light the
pilot in the fall and put it out in the spring.  I also mounted the
furnace a bit higher on the wall than normal, to lessen the potential of
fumes from the car getting into the combustion chamber.  (The port
opening to the pilot light does not seem to be well sealed, so this is a
slight concern.)

I just did a search for Empire Furnaces, and found several models from
this vendor (of whom I have absolutely no connection).

http://www.propaneproducts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PLST&Store_C
ode=propprod

Mine is natural gas, but this site shows several propane models as well.

I kept my garage at 45 degrees, and bumped it up to 55-60 when I was
going to work out there.  My new house has a very well insulated garage,
so I keep it at 60 all the time.  Really nice environment to work in.

I believe most radiant heaters have a flame inside the garage, so I
would be reluctant to use them.  Both for the fumes and the moisture
they would create.

If you are the same Marty Sukey of Loco Brits, come and see it.

Gary K.
Grafton, OH