Re: Water Softener

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Water Softener
From: Richard Welty <rwelty@suespammers.org>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 09:11:02 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 19:36:28 -0800 Shannah Miller <shannah@pobox.com> wrote:
> So, what is your experience with water softeners?
> Is "The Culligan Man" a good way to go?

ack, no. it's about the most expensive way possible to soften water.

>  Or is
> having one's own softener better?

it's a lot cheaper in the long run. a _lot_ cheaper.

> Should
> we replace the suspect parts (about $200)

that's a gamble. shotgunning to fix a problem may or may not pay off.

> or is
> it better to just buy a new softener (hubby says they
> are running about $500)?

$500 is about what we paid for ours (installed). our HVAC guy installed
it at the same time he was replacing our heating system 3 years ago.

lots of the time, HVAC contractors are also dealers for this kind of
accessory, our guy also does whole-house humidifiers, propane fireplace
inserts, all that kinds of stuff, and often they'll match the over the
counter and include the installation, especially if they are taking care of
other stuff in your house.

richard
--
Richard Welty