RE: heating oil tank; weird glass explosion

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: heating oil tank; weird glass explosion
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:54:10 -0700
> Oh yea...if anyone is still reading this thread...one of my cheap halogen
> torchieres has a sticker that says to never operate the light without the
> glass shield in place or be at risk for UV exposure. How strong is the UV

Think of it as a tanning lamp.

> and how effective is the glass shield?

Amazingly so, considering that it appears to be completely clear.  It will
let a little of the longest wavelength UV through, but is almost completely
opaque to the shorter stuff that is supposedly bad for your skin.

Did an inadvertent experiment back in college, using a mercury vapor lamp to
excite some 'blacklight' posters.  The exposed part of the poster would glow
brightly, the part behind the glass not at all.

Randall