Re: heating oil tank; weird glass explosion

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: heating oil tank; weird glass explosion
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@bayarea.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 07:14:49 -0700
On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 09:50:09AM -0400, Eric wrote:
>Jim, first off, I was a realtor in Hunterdon Co, NJ for a little while.  I
>can tell you that no one ever thought that an unused oil tank was a
>"plus".  In fact, one of my clients tried to back out of a deal when one
>was found on a property and the owners refused to remove it.

That's sorta my thoughts, but the survivalist gene in me is vying for
equal representation ;-)

>The good news, is that as long as it's empty and above ground, you can

It's in the basement, which has a garage door opening to the backyard
at grade level so removal is real easy.

>Did you see if something fell on the light housing from above?  Just a
>thought.

If it did, then my theory that the random noises from the basement are really
budding poltergeists is true...  There's nothing above it but the subfloor.

Oh yea...if anyone is still reading this thread...one of my cheap halogen
torchieres has a sticker that says to never operate the light without the
glass shield in place or be at risk for UV exposure. How strong is the UV
and how effective is the glass shield?

jim, becoming less enamored of the warm halogen glow