RE: Which cordless drill? (was RE: Cordless drill clutches)

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Which cordless drill? (was RE: Cordless drill clutches)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:34:29 -0700
Ok, just so Larry won't be lonesome <g>,
I have a 12v Ryobi that I'm quite happy with.  I likely don't work it as
heavy as the rest of you guys, but it has all the power I need (drives 2"
decking screws with aplomb) and the battery life is reasonable.  I've
actually never worn out a fresh battery on a single project, and the second
battery is in the charger ready to go.  My most recent project with it was
drilling ten 1/2" holes through 5" pine, followed by driving 6 1" deck
screws (both overhead).  Started with a partially discharged battery, and
didn't change it.

It's important to me to have a charger that you can leave the battery in,
since I frequently forget to remove it.  My previous B&D burnt up both
batteries in a matter of months, because I ignored the instructions to
always remove them from the charger in 6-8 hours.  The Ryobi is still going
strong some 4 years later on the original batteries.

At least at the time, the Ryobi was considerably cheaper than the Makita or
DeWalt, too.

Just my $.02
Randall