Electric Oven Power Requirements

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Electric Oven Power Requirements
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 12:10:08 -0700
     Over the last 2 years, I have been doing more and more powder coating
and have decided to get myself a oven.  I have been using a small toaster
oven and/or the Eastwood infra-red lamp, they work but its a pain.

   So I found one over the weekend now I have to worry if I have enough
juice to run the thing.  Most ovens require a 40 or 50 amp circuit but that
is for when all the burners are on I assume, so I also assume that if you
remove the top 4 four burners and the broiler burner that you need a lot
less power, but how much less ?

  I found a plate on this rather old GE oven that says (I think it says
this, it is REALLY hard to read being so old and worn) 11.2Kw @ 240V but
does not mention AMPs and even if it did I am still assuming that means
with all burners on.  Is there a formula out there that tells me what the
above numbers mean in amperage or better yet, is there a way to figure out
just what the oven needs ?

   The main house oven is gas so the house has no big power draws and the
house has a 100amp main panel, from which a 60amp panel runs into the
garage (approx. 40-45ft. of 6-3+grd wire), the 60amp panel was put in about
a year ago to handle a compressor that needs 22amps and we have not had
problems by taking that much power into the garage from the house.  I can
run the compressor and my wife can run the clothes drier with no problems
in the house.  My lift is on a 30amp 220v plug about 6ft. from the panel
wired with 8-3+grd wire that I would like to run the oven with, will that
work or am I asking for trouble ?  I am more than willing to make sure the
drier and compressor are not running at the same time as the oven if need
be, but my wife likes using her drier whenever she wants without having to
ask permission(hint, that would keep her happy and that is a good thing).

  And I can't test it because the lady selling me the oven has not yet
gotten her new one so I won't have the oven until Thursday afternoon, which
gives me time to beef up the wiring if I need to but I hope I don't.

        mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/