RE: Electric Oven Power Requirements

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Electric Oven Power Requirements
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 13:49:23 -0700
>   I found a plate on this rather old GE oven that says (I think it says
> this, it is REALLY hard to read being so old and worn) 11.2Kw @ 240V but
> does not mention AMPs and even if it did I am still assuming that means
> with all burners on.  Is there a formula out there that tells me what the
> above numbers mean in amperage

That part's easy, power in watts equals volts times amps (for resistive
loads, which an oven is).  So, 11.2kW @ 240V is 47 amps.

The rest is a bit tougher, but being an older stove I'd guess around 1.5kW
each for the burners, leaving 5.2 for the oven.  Next question is, will the
stove allow both oven elements to operate at the same time ?  Even if the
answer is 'no', you'll only need 5200/240 = 22 amps.

> My lift is on a 30amp 220v plug about 6ft. from the panel
> wired with 8-3+grd wire that I would like to run the oven with, will that
> work or am I asking for trouble ?

Sounds to me like it should be just fine.

Randall