Re: New (used) Jeep

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New (used) Jeep
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@bayarea.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:04:15 -0700
On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 09:43:14AM -0400, LBC286@aol.com wrote:

>My concern is the oil.  When the engine was cold, there was definite
>blue/white smoke coming from the tailpipe.  I drove to work and saw no smoke
>when I was driving, and when I got to work, I let the engine idle and there
>was no smoke from that tailpipe.  (Air conditioner WAS running all the way.)

Is it empty?

;-)

Mine (a '90 with 4.0 and 5spd) leaks a large amount of oil. I'm assuming
you looked for oil leaks?

>I'll make sure my son does plugs, ign. wires, dizzy cap and rotor, and he
>will change the oil and ALL the filters.  Will a new EGR and O2 sensor help
>it any?  I doubt my daughter would have replaced those.

Depends on emissions. Mine seemed to eat O2 sensors, but this year I replaced
the cat-con and that should stop the nasty cycle of one eating the other.

www.naxja.org is an amazing (if prolific) resource for Cherokees (aka XJs)

jim