New (used) Jeep

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: New (used) Jeep
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:43:14 EDT
My daughter was throwing away a 1993 Jeep Cherokee so I took it for my son.
The dealer for her new car offered her $200 as a trade-in and she couldn't
accept it.  (Girls don't know how to deal with car salesmen!)  It has 4WD,
145,000 miles, auto trans, 4.0L high output 6 cyl. engine.  4WD has a shifter
on the trans hump, but the hubs do not have manual locks.

She said that it goes thru a lot of oil, especially with the air conditioner
on.  I drove it to work today, and the engine is smooth, tranny shifts fine,
and it drives as well as one could expect for a truck with M&S rated tires.
(Steering is a little vague and the power steering offers NO road feedback at
all.)  Brakes stop quiet and straight, but I noticed a little squeek in the
rear brakes when I backed up.  I'm not worried about brake work.

My concern is the oil.  When the engine was cold, there was definite
blue/white smoke coming from the tailpipe.  I drove to work and saw no smoke
when I was driving, and when I got to work, I let the engine idle and there
was no smoke from that tailpipe.  (Air conditioner WAS running all the way.)

Anyone want to hazzard a guess as to what I should look for?  I will do a
compression test, but I only picked it up last night.  Why would it use more
oil with the air on?  Just because the compressor puts more load on the
engine?

Any opinions?  This will be a much better vehicle for my son than his 1980
F250 4WD crew cab pickup with the 351 V8.  That truck is twice as long as my
MG, and he is lucky to get 10 MPG.

I'll make sure my son does plugs, ign. wires, dizzy cap and rotor, and he
will change the oil and ALL the filters.  Will a new EGR and O2 sensor help
it any?  I doubt my daughter would have replaced those.

TIA,

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget