Re: was Prepping a floor, Now lifting beam

To: JNiolon@uss.com
Subject: Re: was Prepping a floor, Now lifting beam
From: dms@scheidt.chem.nd.edu
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:23:43 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 JNiolon@uss.com wrote:

> The design you are talking about moves in an arc.  I don't exactly
> get this, but it still seems that an old fashioned engine crane would have
> more flexibility.  Am I missing something here?..........
>

> no Steve you're right...  the cherry picker is much more versatile.  but
> some folks don't have room for that or just need something with a straight
> lift and swing.  I was just offering an alternative.  My garage is small
> enough that if I have the truck inside over the picker, I can lift .... but
> have to move the truck to do anything with the picker...

I had  a friend who had a shop in an old industrial building.  It had an
overhead trolly system at some point, presumably for loading and unloading
trucks, as it extended out the front door.   The neat thing about it was that
it clearly had had switches, allowing the trolley to go either straight to the
back of the shop, or to take one of a couple side branches.  The trolley and
switching gear had been yanked out at some point, so I don't know how it
worked.  The remaining rail was handy for hanging a  chain hoist on to remove
an engine or a top.

David