Re: appliance repair

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: appliance repair
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 07:44:11 -0400
>Greeting from Chicago,
>can you believe it.  It's hit 80 degree's here already, and in the middle
>of this mini heat wave, my fridge can barley keep the temp at 40.  It
>runs but not cold, freezer doesn't do diddly.  Any ideas??  Any reliable
>web site with helpful info??  I have found a couple but they always want
>to sell something first.

Steve,

  It could be several things, like low on freon.  But
before looking too deep, look in the freezer and see
if things are frozen up.  There usually is a panel in
the freezer compartment that covers the cooling coils.
It is usually held on by a couple of screws.  Once
removed, are you looking at a block of ice?  If so,
chances are that your defrost resistors have gone.  This
allows the system to start to freeze up and the cooling
efficiency goes down.  So the ice build up more - a spiral
down to a non working Refrig.

The resistors are usually behind that panel that covers
the cooling coils and are cylindrical, I believe usually
glass enclosed - about 4" long and 1/2" or so in dia.

Do you have a multi meter, and know how to check resistance?
If not let me know and we'll see if we can help with
that.

John

        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan