RE: drilled rotors

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: drilled rotors
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:54:58 -0500
To add my experience with cross drilled rotors.  I used to own a
'80 Honda Accord.  It had a problem with warping the front rotors
(maybe I braked too hard)...  After the second set of rotors, I
installed a pair of cross drilled rotors.  They worked fine, and
provided great pedal feel.

There was however, a couple of side effects of the cross drilled
rotors.  They made a hissing/buzzing sound when the brakes were
applied (actually, they sounded "cool" and I liked the sound).

The rotors did cool down better than stock, the rotors never warped
again.  However, the first application of brakes was always delayed
as the brakes warmed up, but then they would work great.  This
also happened after driving for a while, the brakes would cool
down and the braking wouldn't be effective when first applied
again - not very good for "panic" situations...

The other problem that I had was that the cross drilled rotors "ate"
brake pads.  I didn't notice the rapid wear around town, but then
I moved to a mountain community.  I commuted down the rather steep
mountain road (5,000 foot elevation change in less than 20 miles)
to work every day.  I started having to replace the front pads
every month.  After several months of that, I changed back to OEM
rotors, and the pads lasted for well over a year after that...

All in all, the cross drilled rotors sounded "cool" and they did
cure my rotor warping problem (they did run cooler), but they just
were not worth the effort or the cost.  Save them for real racing
conditions.

Tim Mullen