Re: drilled rotors

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: drilled rotors
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 21:46:30 -0800
It is interesting that all (?) motorcycle rotors are
drilled, but not vented, and that most cars are vented
but not drilled.

Bikes clearly need to reduce unsprung weight
(drastically lighter vehicle weights relative to wheel
weights), cars have more problems with heat
(drastically greater weights to stop relative to the
size of the discs).

Perhaps two different solutions to two different
problems?  I think if you have vented discs, the
drilling probably is cosmetic for automotive street
applications.

Totally unrelated, I do hear the discs on my 2001
Sportster hiss/buzz from the cross drilling pattern on
the discs -- kind of a audible feedback system.

I do think the drilling improves immediate brake
response when the rotors are wet, may increase heat
dissipation (greater surface area exposed to air), but
probably reduces overall friction.

Again, this makes more sense for bikes than for cars.

doug